Thursday 11 Jan 2007: DIPS + CHINS

The tried and true bodybuilder...


DIPS + CHIN-UPS

Perform supersets (back to back sets with little or no rest in between) of dips and chin-ups for twenty minutes. Rest as necessary between supersets.

Substitutions for Bar Dips:
  • Dip with hands on the backs of two chairs or on railings or at the corner of a countertop
  • Chair Dips (feet elevated or feet on the floor)
  • Push-ups (go to your knees if necessary)

Substitutions for Chin-ups:

  • Partial, Assisted, or Jumping Chin-ups
  • Body Rows

Post results to Comments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chins = 29
Dips between chairs = 79

Morning workout, I'm not a morning person lol.

Alexander said...

did a mix of assisted pull ups and negatives. dips were assisted. did it fast. with short rests. 18 supersets of 10 reps.

taylor said...

Chair dips = 83
Chins = 33

Long-ish rests, stopped before failure. Took it kind of easy -- jujitsu tonight, don't want to be too tired to roll...

Anonymous said...

Chair dips - 99
Body Rows off of dining table - 99

8 sets of 12 reps, 9th and last set to 15 reps, close to failure

JME said...

Taylor,

What type of jujitsu do you study? My first formal martial arts training was in jujitsu (Akayama Ryu).

Joel

taylor said...

Joel --

I do Danzan Ryu and crosstrain with judo for randori. Just about two years in. Love it. Do you still train? I did wing chun and western boxing for years and years, but got tired of getting punched in the head. Chokes and armbars are so much more civil...

Are you the evil genius behind TMFS? Looking forward to some sick plyometric action tomorrow.

Neil said...

Did one set every 2 mins, so 10 sets...

Parallel dips: 47
Chins: 38

JME said...

Taylor,

I haven't pursued any formal martial arts training on a consistent basis in several years. I have a heavy bag hanging in my shed that I play with frequently.

I enjoy judo, but jujitsu remains my first love. I had a buddy that trained in Wing Chun. I enjoyed the few things I learned from him. I sense that the trapping and rapid hand strikes of Wing Chun would nicely complement those found in many styles of kenpo.

Joel