Wednesday 13 August 2008: PU DROP SETS

PUSH-UP DROP SETS

Today we'll be applying a popular weightlifting technique to a bodyweight exercise. The concept is simple: perform a set of hard push-ups, then immediately perform a set of an easier push-up variation, then immediately perform a third set of an even easier version. This workout is tough; do not underestimate it. Keep the reps low, especially early in the session, to avoid burnout.

Complete as many drop sets as possible in twenty minutes.

Advanced:

Feet Elevated PU
Regular PU
Knee PU

Intermediate:

Regular PU
Knee PU
Countertop PU

Basic:

Knee PU
Countertop PU
Countertop PU (move feet closer to the countertop)

Post results to Comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was keeping the reps low, I went with 5 of each, but apparently that was nearly low enough for me... I started slowing down after 8 minutes and at 12 I couldn't push-up anymore. It was exhausting but left me feeling a bit too aware of my failing, haha.

Mark said...

I had the same problem as jts - I started off in sets of 5 reps and I was gassed by the 9 min mark. I got in 12 sets.

I switched over to sets of 2 reps of the following for the last 10min - 1 leg squat + l leg deadlift + Prisoner Squats. I got 15 sets of that in.